Friday, July 12, 2013

IS IT TIME YET???

What time is it mama?
What the hell do you care, you can't tell time... Okay, so I don't actually say that, but hey it's what I feel like saying.  I was sitting here earlier thinking about how all of my kids have had an obsession with time, starting at about 4 years of age.  'What time is it mama' is a frequent question in this house and every time, through five kids, it drives me nuts! To them one o'clock is the same as 10 o'clock. But being the dutiful, good mama I am, I answer them.

After this initial stage of always asking what time it is, we then move on to things like 'Mama how long until we (Fill In The Blank). Well, if I tell them an hour they look at me like I've lost my ever loving mind. So we started to say two shows on TV (because most of their shows last 1/2 hour).  It's worked so far!  

The next stage?  Well it is when they are looking forward to something that is going to happen in an hour and they ask every five minutes if it is time yet because they have no idea of the concept of time passing. Even when I tell them as soon as such and such show is over, they still ask every ten minutes.

I've come to the conclusion that time passing is the bane of a mother's existence. Or at least this mother's.  What time is it, how long until..., is it time yet. I will probably hear that in my dreams, over and over again until I am dead.  And Little Butt hasn't even started that stage yet!  Mr.Insane is in the first/second stages and Miss Crazy is in the third although she seems to be able to incorporate all stages in one highly annoying conversation.

I could probably get  back at them when they are older.  About the time they turn seventeen  I can start asking. What time is it?  When are you leaving for college?  Is it time for you to go to college yet?  But no, I won't. Because I am the dutiful, good mama.

Until Next Time...When your kids ask stupid questions, just smile and answer.  But then again, you probably already knew that.

No comments: