Thursday, December 6, 2012

PEN AND PAPER, PAPER AND PEN

When you picture a blogger, you probably see someone sitting with their laptop just typing away and hitting the publish button and ta da they are done. I am probably the farthest from that stereotype as anyone you've ever met. First of all, my laptop is broken so I definitely don't blog with it, haha. Second, I very rarely 'write' anything using a computer in the first place. I'm an old fashioned pen and paper kind of gal.

I've often tried to figure out why I prefer pen (pencil) and paper. Could it be that I obsess over pens and paper? If I could own 20,000 pens and a warehouse full of paper, it wouldn't be enough. Guess what was #1 on my souvenir list when we went to Alaska? Yep, that's right, pens! (And I bought 3 - those little suckers are getting expensive!) But you know deep down I don't think this is the reason. There are plenty of chances to use pens and paper in every day life. I wouldn't have to use them in my writing just to get my fix.

I have also considered that I use pen and paper because I am a warped individual that enjoys the torture of sore hands and permanent indentations on my middle finger.  Oh, and ink stains all over everything!  But no, although I do consider myself warped in many ways that I will never share with you, this is not my favorite part of writing. In fact it is probably my least favorite part. More pain is the last thing I need in my life.

When it comes down to it, I know using the computer would be a lot quicker and easier, but the ideas just don't flow quite as easy with a laptop on my lap or a computer in front of me. I remember in high school typing class, having to compose a story while sitting there in front of a typewriter. ( Yeah, we didn't do computers much way back then) That was the one unit I got less than an A on. Once I sat down in front of that machine, my ideas just dried up like prunes.

As computers became more and more prevalent, things just didn't get easier for me. In college it was pretty much a necessity to be able to do the work in front of the computer and I got by, barely, but it was really hard.

Presently, years away from any kind of schooling. I can occasionally rip something out on the computer, but rarely. Now imagine the 70,000 word novel I wrote (and am re working). It was written on paper with pen and pencil and then transferred to the computer. It is a lot of work, but the results are so worth it.

You might be wondering if I do my proofreading and editing on the computer or not. Nope, I have to print pages out and I do all changes and proofreading with colored pen. I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I  know I am wasting paper, but if I don't have the words in front of me on paper then they just kind of slip right on by. I guess that is why I can't do a lot of reading on the computer either.  Small blog posts are about all I can handle.  No reading books or long stories on the computer for me! I guess my problem is that it just isn't hands on enough for me on a screen. But then that doesn't explain why I love my kindle so much. It is a screen too but I adore reading on it! That however is a story for another day.

Until next time...<3 Thanks for all of the support and don't forget to share the blog with your friends.

No comments: