Saturday, December 15, 2012

BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR -The Weaning of Little Butt

The other day I was having a discussion online with some mommy friends and I told them how fed up I was with Little Butt constantly wanting to sit on my lap, keeping me from getting stuff done.  I also mentioned that I figured it was because she was so obsessed with nursing that she did it.  The other day she was just having an awful time and was on my lap literally all day and I just couldn't take it anymore. I felt like I couldn't breathe.  So I had one of her older siblings take her into another part of the house and I put band aids on my nipples.  Needless to say, she was a bit upset, but she seemed even more worried that mommy had owies.  She fussed a bit off and on that evening but didn't try to take the band aids off.  That night she fell asleep with no problem (not a usual thing) and I thought things were great.  And then came 2:30 am.  She woke up (kinda) and wanted 'boobie'. She screamed, cried, kicked and flailed her arms for almost an hour.  She finally gave up without turning blue for once and tossed and turned for another hour before falling back to sleep.  We'd made it through.

Day two she did wonderful and only asked for 'boobie' a few times although she did come up to snuggle, pat me and ask if I was okay quite often (awwww so sweet!)  I had become engorged and she was fascinated with the cabbage I was using to dry up my milk. She even tried to steal some from my bra although she didn't try to sneak any milk. At bed time, her oldest sister's shoulder was the perfect place to fall asleep and she didn't make a fuss when we put her to bed.  We were making progress!

And now day three.  She came out of the bedroom and ran up to me and sat on my lap, asking if I still had the owies.  I showed her the cabbage and she just snuggled me for a bit and got down to play.  Now she refuses to sit on my lap for more than 10 seconds (I counted) .  She has barely acknowledged me all day, only asking for 'boobie' once today and that was when she saw me without my bra on. In the end playing was more important I guess because she gave up quickly and went right back to it.  Of course after the events that happened yesterday in Connecticut I could use some extra snuggle time with my youngest (and all the kids really) but I did ask for her to stop being up in my face all day and I did ask for her to be weaned.  I am getting what I asked for so I can't be too sad I guess.  She will come around again and want to snuggle still, but she is experiencing freedom for the first time and I think is enjoying it. To combat the 'regret and loneliness' i'm feeling (i.e. to keep me from starting to breast feed again) I just tell her many times that I love her and I blow her kisses.  It really helps me feel close to her still. I know we aren't out of the woods yet, but we are well on our way!

2 comments:

Kimberly Bristol said...

Good for you! Sounds like you're well on your way to having her weaned. I'm expecting a fight from Jack, but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised too!

Unknown said...

Thanks! I hope Jack goes easy on you and you get that pleasant surprise. Just decide you are going to do it and stick with it. Good luck!