Thursday, October 17, 2013

TIME MANAGEMENT - MANAGING WORK AND FAMILY

The countdown has begun. The kids have been shushed and put on notice.  Mom is almost done with her next novel and she has a deadline so nobody better get in her way...except a tummy bug that has now hit everyone. The little boy who only wants me to help him with his homework. The baby girl who won't always go to others to get someone to type Barney or Talking Cat Sylvester into the Kindle. Miss Crazy who needs hugs throughout the day/evening (She's the middle child and suffers from middle child syndrome so how can I say no!). The husband who gets frisky once all the kids are finally in bed and really deserves some attention - after all he has to sit through listening to my love scenes (and others) over and over and over...

This is what I have been
working so hard on!
See note at bottom of page
So, the family has been put on notice to leave mom alone while she finishes writing, typing and pre editing. But you know what they say about the best laid plans. That is why I have given myself a three day window for publication. I have to have the book up and running by November first-third, period end of story.  I think I will be becoming an expert in multi-tasking.

Is it possible to write while being sick?  Yep! I did it the other day. You should have seen me, I would write a paragraph (for those who don't know, I hand write and can do that laying down) doze for about ten minutes, head to the bathroom, write a paragraph, doze for ten minutes, head to the bathroom etc. TASK COMPLETE! I actually got a lot of writing done!

Is it possible to write while helping the boy do his homework?  Yep!  I have successfully written a paragraph here or there while singing the ABC's. I have successfully run spell check while pointing to each repeated letter on his mixed up letter sheet. I somehow was able to type up a whole scene while listening to him read and correcting his mistakes when he made them.  Of course it helps that at five, his books are easy and I have them memorized after the first time he reads them. And I can always manage a ton of hugs and high fives EVERY TIME he gets something right!

Is it possible to write while typing on the kindle?  Well no, not technically. But it only takes a minute or two and I think I can spare that to hear my baby doll singing along with Barney (blech, I hate that dinosaur but love her singing) or laughing her Little Butt off at the antics of Sylvester the talking cat.  It keeps me going, makes me happy and lets her have a little bit of fun so I can get some work done in between typing words into the kindle!

Is it possible to write while hugging Miss Crazy?  Well no, not really. But dang her hugs are so sweet and it gives me a nice little break to remind me that I do have great kids who love me.

Is it possible to write while giving attention to The Hubs. No, not at all, but then again...I guess it could be classified as research. You know, my characters are ONLY famous for hugging and snuggling a lot :p

Until Next Time...It's hard but not impossible to show your kids love and do what needs to be done in your life at the same time.  You can do it!  If I, with the messed up mommy brain, can do it, so can you!

NOTE: Sorry the pic isn't great but for some reason when I upload it to blogger it washes it out. It looks better on my facebook page - stop on over and checkit out http://www.facebook.com/writerjjellis

No comments: