Wednesday, August 7, 2013

SCHOOL SUPPLIES AND POLITICS

We just got back from school shopping for the kids (supplies, not clothes yet)  We spent almost eighty dollars on supplies for a kindergartner, second grader and maybe 1/2 of the supplies the 10th grader might need.

Holy cow.  That is insane.  I remember when my dad used to freak out if he had to spend more than five dollars for my school supplies.  Of course back then we didn't have clorox wipes and the school supplied the tissues and ziplock baggies and their own chalk (now dry erase markers). I complained for years about the Clark County School District because truthfully it wasn't that great, but now after having my kids in Wyoming school districts for the last nine years, I will never complain again.

You know, the joke used to be if we messed something up we would say, "well I went to the Clark County school district after all."  Now I'm seriously thinking of changing it to, "well, my kids went to NCSD1 after all" but then that wouldn't make much sense would it. But it would still be fun as hell to say.

I've come to realize that all districts have politics that I won't like, but you have to look deep down and see HOW and WHAT your kids are learning.  Now I truly wish the heat hadn't bothered me so much because I truly wish my kids could go to CCSD again.

The only good thing is that the colleges here in Wyoming are really good.  Casper College is a top rated community college and UW is a great school especially for certain majors.  Their education department is fabulous so hopefully we get some great teachers and future administrators that can affect changes here. Unfortunately my kids won't see it.  Unless they are willing to stick it out here and become teachers (Gwen's going to be a teacher but I have no clue where she will end up).

The good thing in all of this is that I got to go to the store and soak up all of the lovely school supplies.  You all know from previous blogs that paper and pens make me very very very very happy. :)  I even bought myself some! You know, if you go to our walmart at this time of year you will see this strange lady standing in the middle of the school supply aisles with stars in her eyes and I was going to say sniffing the air for the scent of paper and pen and glue but I really don't do that...much. ;)

Until Next Time...I know it's hard but when it comes to things like jobs, hospitals, schools and other things like that, sometimes you have to look really hard past all of the politics to see the good.  Sometimes you won't find any good, but sometimes you might just be surprised.

No comments: