Sunday, August 11, 2013

AN EVENING AT THE ER

We had quite and adventure tonight. Little Butt kept complaining of a tummy ache and she had a fever that felt really hot (thermometer broken). She hadn't pottied in a couple of days and they say if constipation is mixed with fever they should be seen by a doctor so we headed off to the ER.  When we got there she started saying her pee pee hurt instead of her tummy. I know she is always stripping down to nothing - inside and out SMH so I mentioned that I thought she could have a urinary tract infection because she has been known to sit in the yard/dirt/grass/concrete/steps with nothing on her bum.  So they had to tackle the possibility that she had either a UTI or a blockage in her bowel system.

They were going to put a catheter in because she hadn't peed much all day, but just in time she asked to sit on the potty to go and we were able to get a sample. Phew...I know how much I hate catheters I can't imagine a baby liking it much either.

Next came the blood and they couldn't get a vein. They tried twice and gave up to call a phlebotomist to come do it.  Well, she couldn't get a vein either so they had to prick her finger and milk out three small vials of blood.  Believe it or not during all of this poking, she laid still on the bed. She cried and talked to me, but she laid still!!! I can't believe that (and her fever was temporarily down so she was feeling good, it wasn't like she was lethargic).
My poor sick baby! Laying on the bench at dinner 

Then she was taken to x ray to get a picture of her tummy where she cried, but laid calmly. I was holding her hands and daddy her legs. She is such a sweet big girl!!!

Then we waited and she started to play and have fun, only complaining of pain a couple of times and then she drank a full cup of water which made them very happy but it made her tummy hurt again.  Finally they came in and the results of all of the tests.....Bladder/kidney infection.  So, they gave her an initial dose of antibiotics and sent us on our
way.  She still won't eat much but is drinking a bit now and we have pain pills in her.  Hopefully in the morning (Monday - I am writing this Sunday night while it is still fresh) she will be on the mend.  We will take the hubs to work (Gwen is learning to drive so she does most of the driving these days) and then grab her prescription.

My hips are killing me from carrying, lifting and comforting my baby doll, but I could really care less. I would go through hell and back for that sweet little butt. :D

Until Next Time...If you feel, in your gut, that something is wrong, follow your instincts and take them in.  I'm glad I did because by morning she could have been really sick.  :(

No comments: