Monday, September 23, 2013

THINGS THAT GO MISSING IN THE NIGHT...OR DAYTIME...OR ANYTIME

I know at one point I had a blog about dryers eating stuff or some such and this is NOT another one of those.  This is about things that go missing that are so important (at least in our own minds) that when you realize they are gone you are in the middle of that whole slowmotion Nooooooooooooooo scene.  I've had two of those recently.  You see first, my Kindle Fire decided it was going to overheat and the screen was going to shatter.  And well, you see, that simple device is what makes me tick these days. I do reviews for books over on my author blog and yeah, I can't get any work done if I can't read the books to review them.  So my daughter offers me the use of her 'normal' kindle and guess what???? IT WENT MISSING. Well crap that's not good and once again I find myself living in slowmotion world. Fast forward a few days>>>>>>>> I finished chapters 1-5 of my next novel and am ready to start typing up chapter 6, which is handwritten (that's how I roll if you didn't know) in a green spiral bound notebook that is sitting next to my couch in a storage tub. So I lean over to reach for the notebook and noooooooooooooooo IT'S GONE. I freak out, we all scatter and start roaming through the house in search of a chapter that was so hard to write. I don't want to write it again, I can't write it again - it's just one of those difficult pains in the ass kind of chapters. Well, after much discussion (and constant searching) come to find out Miss Crazy took it but can't remember where she put it.  She swears she put it on the counter but obviously it's not on the counter so where do we go from there. An hour plus spent looking and it is nowhere to be found. We even went over to the neighbor's house to make sure my kids didn't give it to their kids (haha that would be quite a discovery for an 8 year old, finding a scene from
a romance novel :p). No luck.  So we give up for the night and Miss Crazy is prepared to take her punishment (which I hadn't decided on yet).
I am devastated.  I just do NOT want to have to redo that chapter again.  I just want to curl up and cry. But I don't, I go about getting ready for bed. When I pull some clean clothes out of the clothes basket guess what falls out. A green spiral bound notebook.  Did I not ask my kids to check under the clean clothes??? I did, but they insist I only asked them to look under the ones that were waiting to be folded.  But if they would have been listening they would have heard me say and in the baskets. Sigh...I think the obsession with video games we've been experiencing in this house has gone a bit too far and it is keeping us from focusing on the real issues in life...but that is a story for another time.
Until Next Time...When you lose something, the best thing to do is keep a cool head.  It's gotta be there somewhere right...except for the times we've found it in the trashcan outside the night before trash pickup. But don't focus on that.  Just know that it will turn up...sooner or later. <3

No comments: