Friday, April 12, 2013

DEHYDRATED

I think I have made a discovery about something that has been going on for years.  I have suffered with dehydration for as long as I can remember. I have never been able to drink much (well maybe when I was really little).  If I drink too much whether in one sitting or throughout the day I feel sick. Sometimes just taking one little sip makes me feel way too full (even though I'm not) and I get nauseous. So, I solved that problem by drinking only what I could handle (day to day) and playing make up and feeling like crap (once every couple of weeks)  I guess you could say I've pretty much lived my life dehydrated.

[[[And yes I do realize that some of my other problems might not be quite as bad if I cold be hydrated.  But then I know the problems wouldn't go away completely because there are times (when giving birth) that I am super hydrated and have the same problems just a bit less]]].

So what is the problem you might be asking?  GERD - simple as that. Gastroesophageal reflux disease

When I was pregnant the last time (with Little Butt) I had acid that almost drove me to quit eating and I was getting physically sick for a lot more than just typical 'morning sickness'.  My doctor asked me my symptoms and if I had any before the pregnancy.  I told her of every digestive problem I've had since I was a child.  She told me it was GERD and gave me some super prescription strength acid reflux meds. They kind of worked, although pregnancy complicated the situation. I was able to eat and nourish my baby and not completely dehydrate.  I was good.  Well, after I had the baby the acid was barely noticeable again (heartburn isn't always the foremost symptom of GERD). So guess what I did?  Yep, I stopped taking my medication.  I could deal with the occasional tummy problem again, it was no big deal and it was nowhere near as excruciating as when I was pregnant.

And then comes the other day.  I'd been having problems with a bad flareup and I just couldn't drink.  I literally got so dehydrated that my body started to seize up and my muscles started to cramp. It was bad.  I seriously started to think I was going to have to do the one thing I've dreaded and feared my whole life - go to the hospital to be rehydrated.  The last couple of days I have been able to re hydrate myself a bit and am feeling much better.  My plan now is to (even though I will feel like crud times two) overload myself and get completely hydrated and start back on the refux meds.  Thankfully they are available over the counter (I just hope not too expensive).

So now I have a plan of action!  It will be a pain having to take the medication at certain times before I eat, especially with 6 other people in the house who like to be able to eat on a whim.  But I am so scared of ending up in the hospital with dehydration that I will live with a bit of inconvenience.

Until Next Time...If you have something that needs medication by all means take it! It was prescribed or recommended for a reason.  Don't stop just because you are feeling better!  That is a big mistake that a lot of us make. You never know when it might benefit you in more ways than one.

No comments: