Friday, February 22, 2013

I WANT I WANT I WANT TO EMBARRASS MY KIDS

You know that new car you want so bad you can barely stand it, but then you either can't find one you can afford or one that is just right? Or maybe that new gaming system? Or the new big screen TV? Or the new house? Or the new computer/tablet?

Then suddenly, one day you find just the right one and you can afford it and you finally get it!  You are so unbelievably excited.  You tell everyone you know about it, even strangers. And the minute you get it home/drive it/move in, it is all you can think about and you do everything you can to make it perfect and you don't want to leave it for the first month or more! So much excitement and joy in something so trivial right! You dance, you sing, you jump around and give people high fives (strangers and your kids mostly). But best of all, you embarrass the kids. (**evil grin**) Can you tell which one of those things is my favorite? Remind me one of these days to tell you about dancing in my chair and lip syncing to 80's music while I type my novel.  The kids hope and pray their friends aren't over then. (**another evil grin**)

This is it! (points and jumps up and down)
Well, the other day, I experienced the joy of finding that one perfect thing I have wanted for years. Can you guess what the product was? It was a desktop copy holder. You know, one of those mini easel looking things that hold your papers while you type.  Yep. I had been looking for one for years that would be just right. They were either too expensive (when I first started looking many years ago, they were in the $40.00 range and they all had to be ordered which meant shipping cost too) or I couldn't find just the right one, even at office supply stores. Well, I finally found the perfect one!!! With shipping I will be spending under $16.00. I am so excited I want to shout it from the rooftops. I just have to wait for it to arrive and then I will not let it out of my sight. I will probably even sleep with it. (Don't laugh, it will make me more likely to sleep with it. I'm defiant like that.)

What does this mean for me? It means no more sore neck and shoulders from having to bend over too far when I spend a marathon five hours at the dining room table working on my novel. (I know, I know, I really shouldn't do that, perhaps I should move to the couch for a bit? But don't you understand, I don't have a copy holder so it is even worse to sit on the couch because then the papers are too far away from me to read. Hmmm, maybe I need new glasses too?  I guess that will be the next purchase I get super excited about. But I won't sleep with those or they might break. haha!)

So, what is the point of this post? Is it to not be materialistic?  Nah, I think for many people we can't help but love our toys. I just try to balance that out with caring, charity and friendship. The point to this post is, even if you are weird enough for your kids to make fun of, keep being yourself.  (They'll either get over it or be embarrassed for the rest of their lives, which is great payback for all of the labor, headaches, and heartbreak.)

Until next time...Be yourself no matter what.  You can't be truly happy unless you are truly you!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Amen! Embarrassing our kiddos is our duty!

Unknown said...

Yup! It is definitely our duty. :D

Unknown said...

I just got a shiny new sewing machine, and I'm such a child about it. I keep looking for things to sew now, although to be fair I've never done it before and have no idea if I'm even doing it right. New toys are fun!

Unknown said...

Yes! I love new toys. When I got my new sewing machine I even told my kids to feel free to rip their pants just so I could use it. Did they listen? Nope, not one hole in even one pair of pants. Sigh.... :)

Anonymous said...

I think your next big purchase should be a DESK. For heaven's sake at the kitchen table? I say this as I sit sideways on the couch propped up against two pillows, my legs resting on another, with a fourth on my lap under my laptop, so...

Unknown said...

LOL I do need a desk but our house is small and we really can't fit one in here. I work the way you describe too. :)

Unknown said...

I got my laptop 3 years ago for my birthday. It is still my favourite thing. Before I used to have to sit at a desk with my desktop. I love the mobility that having a laptop gives me.

Unknown said...

When I started writing this book I made the husband buy me a new laptop! But I still need to have something to prop my papers up on (I think it is because my eyesight is getting bad in my old age. and I can't see it very well if it is just on the couch next to me...shhh don't tell anybody ;))